If you are thinking about starting your own business, it’s important to know the legal requirements. The SmallBusinessBC.ca website can help. There are a lot of rules you have to follow to run a business in B.C. and in Canada.
To operate a business in BC you may need to do the following:
- Check the availability of the proposed business name
- Register the business name
- Get a bank account for the business
- Apply for an HST number (or GST number), depending on business income
- Apply for a Payroll Account (if you are planning to have employees)
- Apply for an Import/Export Account (if you are planning to trade with other countries)
- Apply for a Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) Account (mandatory if you have employees)
You can register your business and submit business applications on the One Stop Business Registry website.